We had the pleasure to meet with Christoph Spinner (University Hospital rechts der Isar, Technical University of Munich (TUM), Munich, Germany) to discuss the DISCOVER open label phase results.
The abstract entitled: ‘Outcomes of participants switching from F/TDF to F/TAF for PrEP: week 48 results from the DISCOVER open label phase’ was presented at IAS 2021 – the 11th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Science (Virtual).
- What is the rationale for the use of emtricitabine and tenofovir alafenamide rather than emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in pre-exposure HIV prophylaxis? (0:26)
- What did the DISCOVER clinical trial teach us about the comparative efficacy of emtricitabine and tenofovir alafenamide vs emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate? (1:12)
- Could you tell us a little about the design of the open label phase of the study? (2:14)
- What have been the findings of this phase in terms of HIV infection, bone mineral density, renal biomarkers and body weight? (2:56)
- What are the clinical implications of these findings? (3:37)
Disclosures: Christoph Spinner reports grants, personal fees, non-financial support and other during the conduct of the study from Gilead Sciences, Janssen-Cilag, GSK/ViiV Healthcare, and MSD. Christoph Spinner also receives personal fees, non-financial support and other support outside the submitted work from AbbVie and Apeiron, personal fees from Formycon, and grants, personal fees and other from Eli Lilly.
Support: Interview and filming supported by Touch Medical Media. Interview conducted by Katey Gabrysch.
Filmed in coverage of IAS 2021 Virtual.
Share this Video
Related Videos In HIV
18th European AIDS Conference 2021: Welcome from Sanjay Bhagani
Dr Sanjay Bhagani invites you to join the 18th European AIDS Conference (EACS 2021). The conference will be organised in a hybrid format from October 27-30, 2021. The onsite Conference in London will take place, following a comprehensive COVID-19 health and safety concept, complemented by an engaging and interactive online platform that mirrors the scientific […]
Kelly Dooley, ECCMID 2021: Challenges in Developing New Treatments for Drug-resistant Tuberculosis
It was a pleasure to meet with Kelly Dooley (Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA) to discuss the major challenges to developing new treatment regimens for drug-resistant tuberculosis. The session entitled: ‘New drugs and new regimens for treating drug-resistant tuberculosis’ was presented at the 31st European Congress of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious […]
David Lawrence, IAS 2021: Phase 3 AMBITION Trial Results
We had the pleasure to meet with David Lawrence (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK) to discuss the phase 3 AMBITION trial results investigating liposomal amphotericin for treatment of HIV-associated Cryptococcal Meningitis. The abstract entitled: ‘Single high-dose liposomal amphotericin based regimen for treatment of HIV-associated Cryptococcal Meningitis: results of the phase-3 Ambition-cm […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchINFECTIOUS DISEASESSign me up!